Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Bloggin'... er.... dudes/guys/fellas: MoonVsTheWorld

Happy Tuesday! I wanted to personally introduce my friend, Jay, from MoonVsTheWorld as our very first bloggin' dude. Or guy. Or fellow. I haven't exactly worked out the catchiest name for the male version of this yet :) Either way, he's awesome, and you should check him out! 



Name+Age+Site/Blog:
Jay Moon, age 37, MoonVsTheWorld

Why did you begin blogging? 
I’ve always tried to have a creative outlet in life, whether it’s playing music or spray painting train cars (one of those outlets might be a bit of a fib).  When I stepped back from music I really felt like I needed something to keep my brain moving that wasn’t work related and was something I did because I wanted to do it.  To be honest, my brain doesn’t need much to keep it in shape, not because I’m particularly intelligent but because I’m convinced it’s the size of a walnut.  A glance through US Weekly usually does the trick, but I decided to try blogging to see what I could come up with.

What is something interesting about you?
I don’t drink, smoke, or do drugs of any kind.  I’m too much of a control freak to trust my judgement when I’m under the influence of a foreign substance, so I just avoid them, period.

How long have you been blogging? 
As it appears now, MoonVsTheWorld has been up and running for a little less than a year, although when it first started it was more of an all around pop culture blog.  One of my first posts was about Mickey Rooney walking the red carpet at last year’s Oscars.  Today it’s much more centered on music, which I guess is me following the old rule of ‘write what you know’.  I definitely know more about music than I do about Mickey Rooney.

Who is your inspiration for writing? 
At first I didn’t have to look too far outside my own little bubble for inspiration, but as the site has grown and I’ve met more and more bloggers and writers online it’s their work that really makes me want to keep doing what I do.  There are some phenomenally talented and generous people out there!

Where do you get your ideas? 
Since I write mainly about music, my personal CD/download collection is usually my go-to for post ideas.  MVTW covers the good and bad sides of music, so YouTube is always a daily stop to see what folks are coming up with.  As the site has become better known in the music community, bands and artists have started sending their songs and albums in for possible coverage.  However, in order for that to happen I have to personally enjoy the material.  MVTW is not a ‘news’ site-if something is there it’s because I think people need to hear it, not because a PR or management company asked me to write something in exchange for ad placement somewhere.

Do you have any advice that you want to share with fellow lady (or gentleman) bloggers?
Never assume an idea is too ‘out there’ or not worth pursuing.  As huge and expansive as the web is, originality is a difficult thing to find online.  You’re also probably far more interesting than you think, so never feel that writing about personal experiences are going to bore people.  If you need to, throw in the odd car chase to keep the reader excited.  Not to get too Zen on you, but don’t be afraid to let your blog flow naturally.  What you start off with may not be what you end up with.  If your blog keeps steering itself in a particular direction, go with it.

What is one thing you are looking forward to most in your future (blog or otherwise)
I’m really looking forward to not having to rely on spell check so much.  I also want to keep tuning people in to artists they might not have heard of before, or even remind them of bands they used to love but haven’t listened to in a while.  If somewhere down the line Rolling Stone comes looking for a column chock full of sarcasm, I’m in.  As long as I can keep blogging, that is.


Happy Tuesday, friends! <3

2 comments:

Thank you, as always, for stopping by! I appreciate you guys SOMUCH. I read and reply to EVERY comment, so leave as many as you like :) xoxo