So, I have been telling you guys a little bit at a time (and even dropping a few hints!) about what this big decision I am making is.
I have been working at PetsMart for about three months now, and I absolutely love my job. I wouldn't have it any other way, than to be able to work with animals for a living... it hardly even feels like work! It's honestly the first job I have genuinely liked since World Market closed. That being said, I have a few friends who are either vet techs, or in school to be a vet tech, and the idea has sounded so good to me lately.
I brought it up with Nick and my friends and family and most of them are strongly in favor of my staying in school to complete the two-year associates degree (that would only take me a year and a half because of my education degree). There are several reasons why this decision is a hard one for me:
- I have already spent five years and countless thousands of dollars on a degree. Thinking about this decision is not to say that I don't love teaching, because I really do. And the fact that I have spent so much time on this path makes me a little hesitant to change my mind so late in the game. Deciding to go back to school after I graduate in three weeks would mean two more years (ish) of school and a few (ish) thousand more dollars in loans. Is this something I am willing to take on?
- I haven't even tried teaching freal, yet. I know I have had practicums and student teaching, but these aren't much compared to what the real first year of teaching is like. And while I can honestly say I have never felt as strongly about teaching English as I do about helping animals, I also cannot truly say I have given teaching a 100% try. Doesn't five years and many, many loans deserve a real try?
- Two more years in school means two more years I put everything else on hold. I am going to be 23 soon. I am ready to move out of my parents house (which would probably still happen) and maybe, possible, someday soon start thinking about the possibility of getting married. Not only this, but I have been living the "student's schedule" for a long time, now, and before I started at PetsMart, I was all ready to have a full time job + awesome salary when I graduated. I have so many plans for actual money. None of these plans would happen for another two years.
- Being a vet tech means making a LOT less money. I would probably make about 20k less a year being a vet tech. I keep telling myself that this is not the thing I should base my decision off of, but more money IS appealing, right?
- When I emailed the director the program, she wasn't very easy to talk to/nice about scheduling an appointment with me. I feel like this might be a sign.
I realize that this is a huge amount of text and I love you if you have read all the way to this point. It definitely helps that I get this all out on the blog, and I appreciate any input that you guys might have for me.
I keep thinking that the best idea would be to find a job and try teaching for a while. And if I don't find a job, go back to school. But it seems so much harder to go back to school once you stop. What would you do?